Changing blogging domain and site

Image
Dear blogger friends, Lately, I had a few problems with the Blogger web site for my blog The Content Reader . I took this as a sign that I should finally create a web site of my own. I have been checking out other options, but could not get my act together. Finally, I have managed to create a basic web site with Wix, which I hope will be developed over time.  It has not been easy to find my way around. One thing one can say about Blogger is that it is easy to work with.  This site will no longer be updated Follow me to my new domain @  thecontentreader.com Hope to see you there.  Lisbeth @ The Content Reader

Silence - Reading in Progress

It has been silent here for a couple of days. Doesn't mean that I have been idle. There is only one problem. When I have been reading good books, which I hardly can put down, I panic slightly to choose another one. Why, because I want to be as good, inspiring and exciting as the books I have just finished. That's why I have started on four(!) books at the same time. Starting, putting down and going for another.

Well, be as it is, at least now I have ventured into three of them a little bit more. The fourth one, which I just read a few pages on has to wait until these three are finished; the book is Äcklet/La Nausée by Jean-Paul Sartre. Some books you just don't read from cover to end, you have to read a chapter or two at a time and then read something else. This is such a book. Another book, which I find I can not read in one go is The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I started this book and it is quite different from what I thought it would be. More easy-going and humorous. However, Holden Caulfield is a very negative guy, he does not have a lot of good things to say about anyone or anything.  I am half way through the book and I just had to take a break. I can only read a couple of chapters at the time. It is a very famous book and one of those you should read. I can relate to Caulfield in a way, especially when you think of the times he was in. If it works today, when these kind of lives are more common, I don't know.

The other rather exciting book I am reading is more of an academic book. It is from a Swedish professor in English languages. He has studied a phonetics, linguistics, dialects and so on. He worked with Tolkien in an Oxford project in the 1960-70s. His book is about his friendship with Tolkien and their work together. It is somewhat academic, but it you are interested in languages and especially the huge knowledge of Tolkien's in this area it is a wonderful book. He gives the background to how the Ring books (and the others) came to be. I do not know so much about Tolkien, except that he is the writer of the "Books of the century". This book shows that there are so much more to both the writer and his books. Very interesting. One third through this book.

Then I could not help myself! I started the second book of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldan. This is a more easy read compare to the other two and I thought I will treat myself to this one. I really loved the first book and can't wait for the new TV series. It starts wonderfully, when Claire is back in her own time, which was a little bit surprising for me. However, we come back to the eventful 18th century rather quick. I am curious what this series will bring. There are so many books, and they are all rather thick, so many words in there. She writes very flowing and easy so the words pass you by very quickly. I will not reveal too much of this 2nd part, but I see that there are many 'excursions' in the historical vicinity which might not have too much to do with the main plot but will make extra pages. However, if you are interested in history it is great to read. I have to look up names and places that she mentions, because I like to check if what historical writers write are really true. I don't have to force myself to read this one.

Comments

  1. You have been busy! I know that feeling of finishing something wonderful, and there's a long lull between finding the next breath taking book. I love The Catcher in The Rye, love Holden even though he's so negative. I think all the "phoneys" around him give him good reason, though. I never read beyond Outlander,mbut the series sure is getting a lot of attention this summer! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to follow Holden all the way through! As I said, I have started the 2nd part of Outlander, but is not sure it will keep up with the first. Let's be positive and hope for the best. I have noticed the stir - at least in the US - leading up to the opening of the series. Can't wait to watch it. I think the casting has been really well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson

Searching for Caleb by Anne Tyler

How To Read Novels Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster